Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Widow's Mite & Punchbuggy Sara

Actor Crush of the Day: Ewan McGregor (I just love his accent, among other things . . . .)

I have more on a variety of aspects of issues that I've been thinking about regarding unconditional positive regard, but I haven't pulled them together yet.

I've also had alot of other things occur to me this week, and last night one of them was a different take on the biblical story of The Widow's Mite. You know, where more well-to-do people place many coins in the box, but this widow, who has so little it's practically nothing, puts in the only coin she has.

Last night, I was thinking about things as I was praying my bedtime prayer, as well as afterwards. I thought, "Lord, I am so sorry that my life is such a poor dedication to you; such a poor gift I have to give, is this struggle of a life with little to show in the way of external results/accomplishments, for it." I thought about this for awhile, and about another analogy that has been at least somewhat helpful for me to learn to accept myself a little bit and not be as judgemental about my failings/failure to be and do much.

Picture everyone as a car (I'm a cute punchbuggy . . . .!) In this analogy, all cars use the same amount of gas per mile. Now, my car has a really twitchy/funky steering performance; I spend most of my time weaving back and forth, sometimes completely perpendicular to or even angled slightly backwards to, the path of progression. Everyone else (yes, I know everyone has struggles, but this is a rough analogy of mental illness vs. non) gets to toodle along on their somewhat merry way, proceeding at least somewhat efficiently and markedly farther, along the road laid out in front of us. After everyone's gas runs out at about the same time, it's quite clear to see that I got nowhere near as far as anyone else. You see, all that struggling with the twitchy and mind-of-it's own steering, as it swung me back and forth and I struggled to mitigate the effects of such, caused me to travel the same physical miles as the others, but much of that mileage was criss-crossing the path of progression, and even going against the flow. I like this analogy because, while I know it can be perilous to compare how much one does/can do compared to others, I think this analogy can help others to understand, a very little perhaps, of one way in which mental illness can affect people. And can help them, perhaps, be a bit less judgemental of them, or even others who are not mentally ill, but just have different struggles in life than they do. I'm all for promoting less judgementalism (is that a word? hee) in life.

Back to the widow's mite. As I pondered these analogies, the widow's mite story popped into my head, and it felt so natural to think, hey, my life is not a poor gift to the Lord after all; I am giving what I have, what I am; this is not valueless, and, in fact, is probably of great worth to Him. I say probably, because I am not all conceited and thinking I'm All That. Lol!

I felt, though, that being ME, as I often feel is such a poor excuse for anything, was perhaps not such a bad thing/person to be, and was, perhaps, in some way I cannot fathom or approach or accept (as yet, and most of me feels, NEVER! could I accept myself), something . . . well, maybe not worthy, but something . . . . tangible? concrete? something . . . . useful? something . . . VALID.

I also thought, hey, this biblical allegory is often used in lessons, talks, etc. to teach the principal of tithing, service, and other things. It really struck me, though, that it had so much meaning to learning to accept what one has to give from one's self, what one has to offer, what one has or does not have in the way of ability, capability, efficacy, and the ability or lack there of to be and do in the ways and means that the world generally measures one's worth and place in life.

I don't mean to preach or anything, but I did feel that this experience last night helps illuminate a bit more of my struggles with what I go through.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Punchbuggy Sara! That is once again a very original analogy. And I do think that the heart behind the offering is what counts! :)

Anonymous said...

I really like your analogy! Gives me pause for thought!

Anonymous said...

Preach on, sister! Can I hear an Amen?!

Between expressing so well my feelings/frustrations of having a malfunctioning steering column (or just a way wacked out GPS) and the idea that my mites don't mean I'm an unprofitable servant, I can't tell you how glad I am that you post, Sara.

I had assumed that the Lord would regard my daily performance (or lack thereof) along the lines of the parable of the talents, and with my struggle for survival taking me away from thriving or excelling, I would surely be condemned as one who did not multiply that which she was given. Looking at it from your application of the Widow's Mite, though, I feel the sense of hope, love and understanding that I ought to feel when looking at myself through God's eyes.

Thank you, Sara, I needed this.

Sarebear said...

Oh, Tea! You cannot know (maybe you can!) how MUCH that means to me, that something I said, some point of view or analogy(ies) I've formed, things I've pondered and come up with, that something from ME could be such a balm to you.

That GOODness, something GOOD, can come from ME, and have a positive effect on the world, a positive effect on someone else.

THANK you so much for taking the time to comment, and explain where you were at . . . because as you probably suspect, I have/am? been/being there too . . . .

THANK you. I read it incredulously and gratefully about 7 times over, at least already.

You have given something precious to ME. Thank you.

Your friend, Sara

Barb, THANK you SO much. To know that I have a friend on here like you is a great gift, indeed.

Anonymous, I'm guessing you might be my mom, and forgot to sign? Maybe you are someone else, lol!

Anonymous said...

In reflecting on your comments here, I was thinking about how some people seem to only be brought to their knees in dark times and when things are going well, they may go periods without prayer. I personally do not know if I have ever felt so control in my adult life that I do not need God to sustain me and help me. And this was even before ocd would cause me to metaphorically measure ever step and worrry about the minutest things. With ocd, I know that I cannot go it alone. My keeps me from reaching the goals and desires of my heart in so many ways. There are other goals within my reach that I can do but fail to do. Although my disorder keeps me from being faithful in Church attendence and as a result from getting my temple reccomend back, nothing draws me closer to God on a constant basis than my disorder. And it is such a joy to me when something that I have really worried about was just a result of my over-active imagination. I don't think I ever realized what a miracle life is until my disorder made disect it to the core and worry constantly about it. I marvel at life and rejoice in life. I thank God for all the good that has happened in my life in the last 12 years despite my disorder. And I thank God that my niece Brook Elizabeth who is ten months already is here to bless our lives. I have never held her because of my phobias. In fact, I prefer to hear about her and see pictures. I have seen her in person on a few occassions although I try to keep my distance. And she is so incredible and so sweet. She is so alive! She is straight from heaven!

Anonymous said...

I meant to sign that with my name. --Barb

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if I made a point that I meant to make that a lot of people take a lot of credit for what they achieve in life or even getting through life in general without seeing the hand of God along the way. For myself, and I think my friends here with mental illness, we are keenly aware of how much we rely on God.

I have also been thinking about how the scriptures talk about how small and simple things brings great things to pass.

Sarebear said...

You're up early! So am I. I love your comments; I'll be thinking about the small and simple things, thing, now . . . it may very well be just what I needed to hear. My brain is percolating it, there'll be a beep when it's done, so don't startle.

BEEEEP!

Hee hee. Not done yet, just teasing.

Life seems richer when you see God's hand in it, to me.

I know about getting stuck in a repetitive cycle that I have no control to stop. I just have to sit there or perform whatever it is until it's done. I HATE HATE this!!! ARGH. You know whereof I speak, better than I do I suppose.

Now people are going to think I'm REALLY wierd/sick (not that I'm implying YOU are!).

I admire the courage with which you face every day; the determination that comes through in your postings about your life; your faith is astounding, and so beautiful; you are an uplifting wing to me, and I value that and you so much.

You are such a friend and a help to me.

Anonymous said...

Beep Beep....Is that you I hear Sara?

Sara, it has taken a long time to get to the point where I am now. Thank you so much though for your comments!

I was thinking myself how much respect that I have for you knowing that you struggle so often just to exist. I am so glad that you have been in a state to refocus your blog to your main themes. You have so much to give!

Logan W said...

Great reading your blog post