Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Things I Can Do to Help My Daughter in her High-Functioning Autism

Actor Crush of the Day:

Click the title to go to a game, that is supposed to be fun and help teach emotional skills.

I am beginning to wonder what extra things, or even BASIC things, I could and/or should be doing to help my daughter while she is still fairly young, so that she will have better success as she grows, at learning things that other non-autistic don't generally need much help with, and ways of coping, workarounds, and other things high-functioning autistic children need/benefit from, so that they have a better base to work from as a teenager and onward.

I do know the phrase about Autism, "Time is Brain" . . . . the younger they are, the more malleable and teachable the brain is.

But over a year ago, when we got the dx of high-functioning autism, we were also told by the psychologist intern who evaluated her (and graduated w/her Ph.D a week or two later), that since she did NOT have a co-existing diagnosis of anxiety disorder, she would not qualify for benefits from most to all insurance companies.

What the @#$% is up with that? Autistic children need periodic therapy of some kind, don't they? I should KNOW this, but I don't! And so we haven't done anything for besides how we already naturally work with her special needs that we noticed before the dx . . . . I suspect there is much that could and/or should be done, but I have NO bloody idea what, where, etc.

She's currently on CHIP health insurance, and, in a month, will be on health insurance from hubby's work. I guess I need to check out what they cover, if ANYTHING. I am also going to be looking into other resources, though, like the game listed above.

It says there's an add-on for children age 7 and over, that you add on to the game, but I think and feel that my daughter would need to start with the base game, and see how much she doesn't "get" yet of the social and emotional skills the game teaches at that level, first. It IS supposed to be fun, which is IMPORTANT, as A, I have little focus ability for things that are forced, contrived, boring, etc. And kids probably pick up on that too . . . .

Anyway, if anyone knows of anything that could help, whether they know about this item in particular, or anything or anywhere besides links I have on the sidebar, I'd appreciate it.

One frustrated and self-deprecating/self-flagellating parent, over the issue of feeling like I'm somehow failing her by not knowing . . . .

Edit: I found a link to these from ASA's info on Sensory Integration - Sensory Integration Books

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From what little I know, time is often of the essence for gaining skills and the earlier you can intervene the better. However, there must not be as set as window as we had thought as I have seen "Autism is A World where a woman in College tested at age 2 until she was taught facillitative speech. Then, she was tested as a genius IQ(or near). And she was very articulate when she used her device. She had people with her at all times to keep her safe and still had impulses of autistic nature. She said that the more she was in the intellectual world, the less inclined she was to zone out into the autism world. There seemed to be so many services available to this woman and I am so surprised that the same is not offered to your daughter is so high functioning. My cousins child who is severe hyperactive has received assistance in therapy and was in special classes for language delay when he was young. They also get so much money a month from the government because he is a special child.