Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Scare of My Life!!

Thank goodness it was brief, though.

I looked up at the clock, and it was 5 til 4. I thought, "Ohmygosh, where's my daughter? She should be home from school by now!!!"

We've had one scare in the past where I called out her name and was crying all the way as I walked to the school and back, looking for her, and didn't find her.

THAT was a REALLY BAD DAY, let me tell you.

So, freaking out a bit, I check with a neighbor; the one who's daughter she usually walks home with. Not there, and her daughter had gone to a friend's house from school, like my daughter is going to do tomorrow.

I was headed back to my apartment, to put on shoes and call that friend's house she was going to tomorrow, in case she mixed up the days, when I saw my daughter behind the apartment buildings slowly walking home.

Turns out she waited and waited and waited forever for the friend she walks home with, and after half an hour finally walked home. BOY am I glad she came home while there were still crossing guards at the intersections . . . .

Whew. Heart still pounding a bit, here . . . . I did let the neighbor know she was ok, she wanted to know when I found her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At such times there can be so many thoughts racing through your mind. I am glad she is safe and well!

Sarebear said...

THANKs!

annegb said...

Boy, been there. One time Sarah went home on the bus with a friend who lived miles out of town and her parents didn't have a phone. I looked for her for hours until the mom brought her home.

Another time, I took Jessie to a birthday party when she was four and after a few hours, she came home and said, "Mommy, guess what? I walked home!" I laughed and thought she was teasing me, but then the mom of the birthday girl called me all frantic because Jess had just disappeared.

Yup, she'd walked home. It was a mile away! A friend of my son's had picked her up and brought her part of the way home. Which scared me because who knows whose car she could have gotten into.

Your little town is so pretty, Sara.

I'm glad she made it home.

Sarebear said...

Thanks, annegb.

I love the fall feeling here, altho w/Wal-Mart just starting construction 15 feet outside my door, I'm kinda annoyed at that, lol. It's too much for this 1 mile by 4-mile town, with the SuperTarget right there too.

Kids can sure scare us mothers bad, huh!