Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Tears For A Friend

Of the furry variety.

Tears are rolling down my face, again. The love this animal brought to my life, is a beautiful thing. He loved simply, and he loved deeply.

He was there, when I needed some comfort. He was there, when I needed to be needed. He really enjoyed the scritching and body massages I started giving him this winter, on a couple occasions. He was there, afterwards, to shed yet more fur after such massage, even though I looked like the Shaggy Dog by then . . .

He was there, when I needed a friendly smile, with nothing but pure love and doggy personality behind it. He was there to greet me, with a bark and wagging tail, when I'd open the door and enter his house.

He was there, when I couldn't be, to comfort Betty. He was there to be a companion, and deep friend, and a source of unconditional love for her, no matter what, no matter when, even when I could not be there.

He was kind, he was fun (especially in his younger days!), he was white, he was willing to do tricks for treats (with occasional coaxing!), he was loyal, he was ALWAYS concerned for the welfare of his pet human, Betty, and he was willing to accept me as a member of his pack when I married into the family. He was simple, he was a joy, he was playful (especially in his younger days, again!), he was unique; he had his quirks, and his particularities, and he had his greeting for all those who were welcome; he also had his greeting for all those who were not, among which number passing bicycles, skateboards, deliverymen, and strange dogs. He did enjoy a good chase of any felines he caught wind of, even of late when he was not as spry.

He was comfort, he was companion, he was a beggar for table scraps (oh, that LOOK in his eyes!) He was friend, he was confidante, for whom would he tell your secrets to? He was the memory of a fuzzy white furball you could hold in the palm of your hand;

he was BEAR.

Goodbye, my friend. Until I see you again, with this parting eulogy I leave you, and sadly, yet gladly, for your release from infirmity, do we part from each other for a time.

I'll be waiting to give you a massage, the next time we meet.

I imagine, that I hear your, "Rff!", and see the gleam in your eye, the smile beneath, the perk of your ears, the tilt of your head, and see the welcome wag of your tail.

Goodbye . . . .

5 comments:

Holly said...

That was a beautiful eulogy! It brought tears to my eyes. I will miss Bear too. I am grateful that I still have Goliath because I know when he goes, a part of me will go with him. Thanks for sharing your memories of Bear with us.

bettyrae said...

Thank you Sara!

Anonymous said...

Bear sounds like a very special pet. I can picture his begging eyes. I am sorry that you all have lost a dear friend for now.

Anonymous said...

To bttrae. . . from Sara's Mom. . . We are thinking of you and your loss of your special friend Bear . . . you and your Mother will also be in our prayers as you face more difficulties. . . We do think of you often, even though we don't write or talk as often as we should . . . I am glad Sara has you in her life!

bettyrae said...

Thank you so much. It has been a very emotional week! I appreciate your thoughts and your prayers!