Thursday, November 09, 2006

Now you, too can be pathetic!

Get yer very own, run down, self-described (by Urban Outfitters), "Charlie Brown Pathetic Tree"! (emphasis added)

Nothing says it's Christmas quite like a depressing reminder of not feeling quite good enough. Check out the ornament which strains the tree's very ability to cope with all the stress that is the holiday season. Built in is the ability to create the appearance of even more desperate patheticness, as described in this quote from Urban Outfitters: "The bendable branches allow you to make it look just how you want, super pathetic or just kind of pathetic."

Okay, so I had to write my own copy for this poor tree. It's actually just a humble little thing, although it seems kinda sad to commercialize the humble aspect of this Charlie Brown Christmas story. Whenever we've gone to a Christmas Tree lot, we can always point out the ones we call Charlie Brown trees, anyway.

5 comments:

HP said...

I've never heard of a Charlie Brown tree before! Would people actually buy this?

Sarebear said...

Yes! You MUST see A Charlie Brown Christmas (I think that's what it's called . . .). Half hour animated, and it's a CLASSIC.

$24.99 seems like alot when it'd buy half a 5 foot real live tree (yikes, live tree prices keep going up lol) for Christmas, but yes people would buy this.

Seems to me one could make it for $5 or so, with craft sprigs of pine, a couple strips of cardboard, some staples and/or hot glue, and one ornament.

It's the context of it in the Christmas special that has the meaning. Basically, it's the only tree he can buy, and takes it home, sad as it is, but at the end of the show, people realize that it's actually a very good Christmas tree, and not to judge it by how it looks. It's been a long time since I saw it . . .

That's alot for a poor little wisp of a Christmas tree to say, lol!

Anonymous said...

I like those Peanut Classics! My brother had a Peanuts Theme in his room during his youth with a bedspread, curtains, and I think even a waste basket. He also had a hardbound book of the comic strip that I liked reading. It also included a bit of an autobiography of Charles Shultz that I enjoyed reading. I hope I spelled that right.

I did not read the above comments. I must point out that Charlie Brown's Christmas true looked much better when it was all decorated and it was very loved.

Anonymous said...

I have now read the comments and see that Sara pointed out that it is discovered that it is a fine tree in the end.

HP said...

Thanks for the explanation. My daughter has some Peanuts DVDs, I'll see if she has that one. *learning all the time* :)