Wednesday, November 01, 2006

You're Putting WHAT in My Brain?

Vagus Nerve Stimulation.

Coming soon, to a depression treatment options list near you.

Apparently it was just approved for use in depressed people; apparently it has also been used for years in seizure patients.

It targets the mood center of the brain.

You have a remote control that communicates with it; I guess the signal will go through your skin and whatnot to the device in the back of your neck that is connected to the Vagus Nerve.

Sounds kinda scary. It's good to have more options for treatment-resistant depression, but I can see the late-night comedians riffing on this one already . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If no other treatment works and this is a viable option, I would consider it. I am speaking hypothetically as I have neve been in need of that type of treatment. I saw a show about people who had electro-shock treatments, which are a lot more humane than they were in the past. I always thought that seemed so horrible, but seeing people in dark depression for years with no relief in site and a therapy that for some provides some relief, I decided that for those few it is a treatment to consider.

HP said...

Interesting post. I've read about this in the other context ie. with seizure patients and in Parkinsons? The analogy drawn is to a pacemaker but for the brain. If it proves to be successful, it could just be a lifesaver for some.