Thursday, December 07, 2006

Autism Bill Passes House & Senate

Now, it goes to the President to sign before the Holiday Recess.

Combat Autism.org

A quote from the above site:
The bill authorizes nearly 1 billion dollars over the next five years to combat autism through research, screening, early detection and early intervention. The new legislation will increase federal spending on autism by at least 50 percent. It includes provisions relating to the diagnosis and treatment of persons with Autism Spectrum Disorders, and expands and intensifies biomedical research on autism, including an essential focus on possible environmental causes. Autism is now diagnosed in 1 in 166 children according to the Centers for Disease Control.
Read the bottom two of the three paragraphs at the following link.

WPLN.org news transcript

YES!!!!

This means that insurance coverage for services for my daughter, may be covered, or should be to some extent, I guess we'll see how it all gets sorted out . . . .

ONE BILLION DOLLARS over the next five years . . . . YAY!!!!!

Yes, I know there's many ailments and health issues that need money, attention, funding, research, etc., but autism has been neglected/ignored for FAR too long in these and other areas.

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Maddy said...

Do you think they'd let us move to Canada if we don't speak French?
Cheers

Sarebear said...

??

Patient Anonymous said...

This puzzles me too. I speak small amounts of very bad French. It's not a prerequisite for immigration and it certainly isn't for Autism funding, either.

Not that there's much of that going on around here also. Funding for Autism therapy that is.

I'm glad that you will hopefully get some financial relief. I know how expensive it can be from personal experience. I have friends with an autistic son. He's such a great kid.

Patient Anonymous said...

RAWR! Okay, I just have to say, that peeptin thing? I knew I never should have even attempted it. It's simply maddening!

Okay, bye now.

Stephen said...

That is neat.

Anonymous said...

I think it is important to cover services to help people become as independent as possible and reach their potential. A friend of mine was telling me how a lot of people with autism do not receive services when they age out(21 years, I think). They lose skills that they gained through years of practice when services are cut off.