Saturday, April 26, 2008

Is there a House (M.D.) in the Anesthesiologist?

Yes indeedy.

At my post-op appointment a week after surgery with my orthopaedic surgeon, his first question was "Did you have any problems with the staff?".

I do not know if this is a routine question, but I thought it curious of him to ask that right off the bat . . . . it just so happened that I had had a problem, as several readers may know who attended a Dr. Anonymous BlogTalkRadio Show a few days after my surgery. There's a chat room there associated with the show, and the listeners chat amongst each other as the show goes on, sometimes about things unrelated to the show and of course quite often and most likely about things mentioned in, related to, and/or regarding the show or it's topics, and/or Dr. Anonymous or his guest(s)/caller(s).

Anyway, regarding the Anesthesiologist referred to in the title, and that I had a problem with when I responded to my surgeon's question above, here's what happened that bothered me.

I had been prepped for surgery, and the anesthesiologist came in to the prep area and started his part of things, and started asking questions, his first being, "Did you take your meds this morning?" I responded, "Yes", and he replied with something like, "Good girl. Even the psych meds?" I said, "Yes." He replied, "Good! That's so I can stand to be around you!".

Now, I understand that this MAY have been in jest; earlier, my surgeon had been in, and I had declared my nervousness - he had said, "The good news is, I'm not!" - This made me smile as well as helped relieve my nervousness too! Some joking around and such can be helpful to relieve anxiety and such, and so perhaps the anesthesiologist was just trying to be funny, part of me can see that, and can see that perhaps he just ended up being "funny" in a way that, in the very least, is insensitive, if not outright offensive, judgmental, prejudicial, crass, boorish, cruel, arrogant, and narcissistic, among other things.

The thing is, he repeated that last offensive sentence or its equivalent one more time a few minutes later, and perhaps one more time, before leaving the prep area. I feebly joked about my sleep-punching, I suppose in a passive-aggressive way of trying to sort of "defend" myself from this horrid attack upon myself that I felt. Of course, this man was going to be in charge of me whilst I was under anesthesia, of which I was very aware, so I just did not say much of anything, or tell him what I thought of what he had said to me or of his manner (he seemed to act rather brash, arrogant, and narcissistically with and to the nurses, orderly-types, and other operating-type assistants moving about the prep and operating areas and corriders as well, so while I tried to think the best of him and think it was just an insensitive stumble of a joke, his manner and the repetition of it kind of led me to think otherwise . . .. .)

The man's grandiose manner possibly did not leave room for any awareness on his part that he had caused any offense at all - that possibility I was also aware of. That is okay. Should I have further procedures requiring anesthesia there, I will request, if it is possible to do so beforehand, a different anesthesiologist.

It occurs to me also, though, on the one hand, the most important quality in an anesthesiologist is, well, how good is he or she at anesthesiology? Doesn't matter if his or her personality is as narcisisstic as Narcissus himself (of mythology), or as bland as plain white rice . . . . can they do the job WELL, do they know the unusual rare things that can happen and what to do if so (no one knows everything but to a reasonable degree), do they handle themselves expertly under pressure and emergency, do they handle themselves well with colleagues in the operating environment (which IS where personality would play a role, in a manner, but other people have to obey him, so his arrogance fits there, I suppose . . . . I dunno) . ..

Then again, since I watch the television medical drama House from time to time (not because some of the dreadful things he says are acceptable - the opposite, in fact, is the case - twas unusual from my Mormon perspective to see him have a "go" at a Mormon character - there aren't too many of those on TV, I suspect it was because of the Presidential race - he used comments as unacceptable as those he's used with his Jewish associate(s) or underlings . . . . in a way, he treated them the same across the board, but none of the despicable comments and treatment were acceptable. I think this show tries to SHOW that, in his extreme behavior. I enjoy the medical mysteries, though.

In my answer to my orthopaedic surgeon regarding any problem(s) I'd had with any staff member(s), I replied in the affirmative, he inquired as to who, I replied with the anesthesiologist's name (he did not look surprised), he asked why (although seemed to know before I said anything that it was going to be that the guy was a jerk) and I explained. My phrasing of what the anesthesiologist said is a bit off - it was actually WORSE than what I put above, but as time goes on, I just can't remember - things that send me into a shock of some kind, emotionally at the time, I have a hard time remembering later. I believe PeggiKaye or someone else from Dr. A's show from that week might remember better than I, at this point. I was still in shock, at that point.

I'll update on knee later, let me just say an ultrasound on lower left leg for DVT (blood clot) suspected, turned out negative for any, YAY!!!!

p.s. I could go another decade w/out typing anesthesiologist that's a long word lol w. lots of vowels s's etc. lol. Please chime in with what you think about this.

3 comments:

Dr. Deb said...

Sorry, those questions smack of stupidity and stigma.

My 2 cents.

Sarebear said...

I was thinking aLOT of stigma - it felt de-humanizing, and humiliating - there's aLOT to attitude and tone of voice - not that he was PERSONAL about it (it was all so beneath him, not that I'm an expert, but he SEEMED very narcissistic) - I described it to my ortho, for lack of a better term, as a very "House" thing to say, after asking if he knew that TV show (and he did). In fact, I think I've heard close to the same thing come out of House's mouth, anyway.

I was there, and it just felt like he meant what he said; which is why it felt traumatizing, I wasn't working myself up into a trauma, although I WAS trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, although repetition and continued exposure to his personality and manner pretty much trampled that lol . . .

Anyway, in his statement(s) he "took" my humanity away, and I became or was just a "thing" . . . to be medicated into not being an annoyance or inconvenience to or for him.

Thanks for the comment, the kindness and support, Deb. I aim to fight stigma wherever I can, although in this case, I deemed it unwise for my own immediate physical health to get into it with the man who was going to be overseeing my anesthesia in short order . . . . I am glad my ortho asked, though - if he had not, I would have told him, because it had been eating at me all week.

When new episodes of House come back on the air, it actually gives me a different perspective on the show, no matter how handsome the actor (I still feel they have the character display such deplorable behavior to highlight that bigotry etc. is unacceptable, and the character does show some signs of changing his ways here and there (I guess one can hold out hope, if only for a tv character lol).).

Now I've got the tune Ghost-busters in my head, except with the word Stigma in it - just don't cross the streams . . . . . .

Anonymous said...

I do think that sometimes people think what they say is appropriate and funny but in reality it can cause harm. There are appropriate ways to put people at ease. And sometimes it can be fine to joke about meds, but you don't even know this person nor does he know you.

This post brought to mind an experience with my mom. She was haivng her esophogus stretched. The doctor told her right before the procedure that she could wake up on a respirator. I don't know if she had been given anything yet. You'd have to know my mom to get the full impact of her statement. She said in all seriousness, "Am I going to die?" The doctor said, "put her out." This seems rather illegal to me as I think you are supposed to tell all risks prior to getting to this point. But that was over a year ago. Everything went fine thankfully.-Barb