Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Church Moments 8/27/06

A very young toddler, in the middle of the main service, loudly and delightfully proclaiming, "Taa-Daaa!"

Nothing like the feeling when you are singing Hymn #2 in unison with the rest of the congregation!

Finding easy amusement for your antsy 7 year old by placing a piece of white fuzz off your skirt on her hand, which she then blows off and quietly giggles at. Rinse and repeat.

Comforting my daughter when she's lost the 2 inch length of black string you found on your skirt for her. (My daughter LOVES stringy things; also, with her autism, when something is "wrong", out of sorts, suddenly different, an awkward or unpleasant transition, unexpected, surprising, new or different . . . she melts into tears and has coping/adjustment problems with it. I practice alot of tender patience with her, in this regard. I also feel that some might feel I am making excuses for her, using her autism as an excuse, and/or coddling her . . . but this is one of the mis-wirings of autism, that adjusting is not easily done, and feels terribly world-changing to her. At least, from what I've read this seems to be the case . . .

No comments: