Friday, December 23, 2005

Hey! Where's My Shoelaces?

Actor Crush of the Day: Ewan McGregor & Liam Neeson (I just love British Jedi!)

An analogy that has been useful for me lately, is one involving everyone being issued with a pair of "shoes" as they are sent down to Earth, to live, from heaven. Not everyone gets shoes that fit as well as others; not everyone gets the color or style they'd like; not everyone gets a shoe suited to the functions that are needed.

And, not everyone receives shoelaces.

I posit that, with my mental illnesses, I was issued shoes, but no shoelaces. I have repeatedly stumbled and fallen, my whole life through. I didn't even know what I was missing, although the inevitability of falling, and the repetitive nature of it, seemed to indicate that I was missing SOMETHING, as I grew older and wondered. No matter how hard I tried, one shoe, or both, in the most difficult times, would fly off and I'd fall on my face, with varying degrees of trauma depending on the situation.

And sometimes, it would be quite awhile before I even could, or would, get up again.

Sometimes, I'd just crawl.

Sometimes, I'd just lay there and sob.

I've hated those shoes, and hated the "unfairness" of it. Why do others get to race on past me, while I must repeatedly eat dirt, over and over again? And be expected to WANT to get up, even though I am running with faulty shoes; with some essential component missing, which I couldn't compensate for even if I knew what I was missing?

But, a year ago, I learned after many, many, many years, that I may be bipolar. And have a variety of anxiety disorders. As the year wore on, the rapid cycling nature of the bipolar became defined, and the possibility of OCD became painfully clear as I began to discuss things with the psychologist that I always thought were "just ME". For my whole life, I thought all this stuff, all this inability to "fit" with coping, being capable, in society, in the world, among people, and even alone, was a fundamental and serious flaw with my ME-NESS, my ME-hood. I thought I, MYSELF was the flaw; that I, MYSELF, was the "thing" that was not suited for this world, for interacting with people, for BEING. I had no framework for even conceptualizing that it could be something other than maybe some depression (which is serious, by itself, but . . .)

So. This year, I have learned that there is such a thing as shoelaces . . . . this September, after beginning the Neurontin (mood stabilizer), I believe that I have been able to grab ahold of these laces. Through therapy, I will learn what they are for (well, everyone knows what shoelaces are for, but in the analogy, I never even knew what was missing; I have to learn what they are for, analogically speaking). As time, therapy, medication, and my whole treatment continues, with hard work on my part, I will slowly start to thread these laces into my shoes.

I have already begun to try to walk and run, still, and I stumble, still. Even with perfectly laced shoes, everyone stumbles. Still, as I begin to see some faint, faint but powerful glimmers of possibility and hope, I can't help but test what I learn, even if I am not yet ready. And so, I still fall.

BUT, though I am scraped, bloodied, and bruised, I am, ever so slowly, learning. Ever so slowly, bit by bit. Some days, weeks, months, better than others, and sometimes just holding ground itself is progress of a sort, and sometimes I have bad times. But I am learning, now, that there ARE laces, that there is a use for them, what that use is, and that I have been missing SO MUCH. And that I can learn, and be, and BECOME.

Eventually, my shoes will be all laced up, and I will haltingly, and/or recklessly, test my step, and then my stride. People who learn to re-use their muscles after serious injury or prolonged convalescence, must re-learn in a similar way to what I am trying to describe, here. There may be some collapse of nerve, or strength, or collapse under duress and pain. I will, after regaining strength, get up again and proceed to test, discover, and learn how a laced-up pair of shoes will increase my capabilities and self-hood.

There will be mistakes, stumbles, hurt, and frustration. But I will learn to walk. I will learn to skip, jump, and hop.

I will RUN.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, a very interesting way to conceptualize bipolar and the way it effects you (and me--Hi, pleased to meet you)

I've seen your comments on various other blogs and decided it was time to come say hello here.

Sarebear said...

Hi! Pleased to meet you! I appreciate you reading, and commenting. I wish you DIDN'T have the experience to understand, but since you do, I am glad to meet someone who is . . . inside the monster, as it were; understands what it is like.

I am flattered you have read my comments elsewhere and desired to come to my "home" and say hi!

Hi!

Hee. *shakes hands*

Anonymous said...

momsaid. . . Hooray for Sara! When you write like this, I really do know what you are talking about, and I really enjoy the way you use words, and your analogies. I have stumbled alot through the years, both physically and otherwise, so it really hits home! I love you, dearheart!

David B. said...

We are often times so hard on ourselves. We use harsh judgments against ourselves, which only serves get us down on ourselves, and forestall the healing process. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. I'm afraid I am guilty of this myself at times.

I'm so glad that it sounds like you are getting the help you need. The process may be long, and at times hard. I hope you keep going on that path. I hope you can remember the glimpses of light at the end of the tunnel that you receive from time to time.

It saddens me to thing that there are probably many people, much like you were, who are suffering from mental illness of various kinds and go undiagnosed. They continue to suffer, without the benefit of the help they need. They may blame themselves for their problems, or others may blame them for things over which they have no control.

It is for this reason that I think we all should be slow to judge people when we may not understand the nature of the problem. In fact, a person may not even know what the nature of the problem is him or herself. I recently read that nearly two-thirds of people who suffer from mental illness go undiagnosed. What a tragedy!

Well, bless you for your hope, and faith. Hang in there, and don't give up! Remember the Lord loves you, and he, more than anyone else, can really understand you and the circumstances that you face. He can help you go through this journey. You need go through it alone.

I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas. And may the new year be a bright one for you, with more patches of daylight peeking through the clouds.

David B. said...

And now for a little lighter note. I see in your sidebar that you are a connoisseur of silly, mindless, time-wasting online games.

Have you tried Snowball Fight yet? It might actually qualify as therapy. A way to get your agression out and relieve some stress. Just remember, don't hit Santa!

BTW, my 12 year-old son won this game on his first try! I've never been able to get out of level 2 myself. I guess I'm slowing down in my old age! (* shakes head *)

Give it a try, and enjoy!

Stephen said...

Be patient, you've only been walking normally for less than a year ...

Glad to read that you are dong better.

Anonymous said...

Such poetry!

Anonymous said...

Altho' I'm not your mom, I have used this name on others blogs so will use it on your too.

I loved your analogy about the shoelaces. It explains very aptly the way such an illness can make one feel. Altho' I don't have this illness myself I have some children who do and am an RN and have taken care of people with it. I find it comforting to know that this illness is caused by a chemical imbalance and that it isn't just in your head like they used to say. I believe that we accepted certain things that we would go thro' in this life before we came here. One of my favorite sayings is, "I will be very interested to learn just how many of my challenges I faced in this life I agreed to before I came down here." I believe that some of these challenges are some of the ways we are tested.

Anonymous said...

I loved this insightful essay, :) and as editor of the Colorado Springs DBSA [Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance] newsletter, would like to include it in a future issue. Depression and bipolar disorder runs in my family, so I know that denial is one of the classic bipolar symptoms. Whatever it takes to turn on that lightbulb in the head of an afflicted person is good.

Charles M. Sakai
Colorado Springs, CO