Monday, December 05, 2005

My "Peanuts" Childhood

Actor Crush of the Day: Snoopy. Cause it was a dark and stormy night . . . .
I was reflecting on the very little to none I remember of my childhood under the age of 7 or 8 or so. And you know what I realized? The adults only existed from the lower chest down. They were incomprehensible, and really were only background noise in the remembrances in my head. To the point where they are practically non-existant. I don't remember how my parents looked, at all. I don't remember ever SEEING their faces, although of course I must have.

I actually only remember, from the house in California, the wood in the hallway, the screen in my room I'd push out to go play in the backyard when I'd been sent to my room, and the swinging glass-paned kitchen door that was removed after one day when I chased my little brother around and around, each time entering the kitchen through this door with a stiff arm to a glass pane. On one go-round, a pane gave way and I looked down with 3 year old curiosity (and I'm sure horror, but by now it's all a silent movie in my head, and not a very clear one at that), at the piece of meat/me lying on the ground, and the GAPING hole in my wrist. I believe I screamed. Anyway, even in this my mother is just a lap in my memory. No face or anything.

Anyhoo, I realized, HEY, this is just like PEANUTS! Where all the adults speak some incomprehensible honking gibberish, and are really just background, when they are there at all, for the lives of the kids, anyway. So I thought it was funny that my childhood plays out like a Peanuts video. The few bits and pieces I can remember, anyway. Er . . . . that sounds kinda gross, considering I left off about seeing a bit and piece of ME on the floor. Lol!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting anaology. My child ed teacher in high school used to say that she felt sorry for toddlers as they have an even lower eye view. I do not think I will be online again until Friday. I shall check in with you then!