Monday, July 10, 2006

Bullying MIGHT Affect a Child? Idiots . . .

I was horribly bullied my entire elementary school years and all but the last 5 weeks of junior high (we moved across country.)

MIGHT my ass!!

IDIOTS. Lol.

They've proven there's a good deal of impact on a child's brain when subjected to prolonged periods of stress . . . leading to the development of mental illness and other problems as they grow up. I forget where I read that, but I have LIVED this, in excruciating detail.

EXCRUCIATING.

MIGHT? That's like saying the December 2004 Tsunami (or was it January 2005?) was probably going to get some people wet. (NOT comparing the severity of the two as being equal, but making an understatement comparison.)

I-D-I-O-T-S!!!

Yeah, so it's just a stupid MSN article, but still.

I do not think most of America has any concept of what kind of damage this nasty childhood behavior can do. Yes, they are aware of Columbine and other school shootings, some of which were perpetrated by picked-on, bullied kids. I still don't think they know . . . .

Oprah often goes way too far with some stuff, but sometimes she has some good shows. I don't watch often anymore, but one that caught my attention showed a 13 year old girl, speaking up about bullying. She was a victim. Most of it was her mother, talking, though, as it was really difficult for the girl.

I can SO relate.

But her story, of being VICIOUSLY and INHUMANELY treated . . . . while the specifics were different, the beyond-the-pale cruelty and dehumanizing-ness that was intended and enjoyed by the perpetrators was the same. There's bullying, and then there's stuff that'd shock alot of people. Sometimes for what it is, sometimes for the RELENTLESSNESS of it, sometimes for the absolute extremely apparent attitude on the parts of the bullies and others around them, that the victim was no kind of being at all, with any kind of feelings, rights, of any worth, concern, or value. NOT HUMAN.

Wow. I didn't intend to do a bullying post today, but there it is. I have alot to say on the subject, but I'm tired. Til tomorrow!

Here's the understating article quote:

"In light of their findings, “bullying could be regarded as a stressful life event that might influence children’s normal development,” Arseneault and her co-authors conclude."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that people minimize bullying way too much. They attempted to mainstream my cousin's son who is a special child who has been in behavior disturbed classrooms since about 4th grade. He became seriously depressed to the danger level. After a major "cry for help" to a therapist, he was hospitalized and school officials promised not to mainstream him again. And then an assistant vice principal mainstreamed him again saying that he can't make special adjustments for just one child when he had a school of x number of children. Finally, he was put back in a resource room and caught up his work and will advance to high school in the Fall. People say to report bullying to teachers and administrators but often they just say, "I didn't see it." School should be one of the safest places our children can be! And I have heard of schools that put "bully proofing" systems in place. I am not sure if it is foolproof, but I think you can do a lot to create the right culture where you look out for you fellow students.

Anonymous said...

correction: I think he has been in special classrooms since 1st grade.

Anonymous said...

correction: I think he has been in special classrooms since 1st grade.

annegb said...

Wonderful post, Sara.