Thursday, June 22, 2006

KSL Radio Conversation w/Governor Jon Huntsman

Well . . . I just got off the phone with Governor Huntsman and Doug Wright on KSL Radio 1160 AM, in Salt Lake City, Utah.

I am not sure how I feel; I'm shaking. I feel a bit brushed off, but then again I probably need to withhold judgement until I call the person and phone number that was given to me.

I got through after quite a bit of busy signal. I related my story, which is as follows:

First I briefly mentioned the issue of health insurance parity for mental health issues, with the way other medical issues are paid. Then I got into my main issue.

I said that a year ago (and I reassured them that I am currently under the care of a psychiatrist and psychologist, funded by a miraculous and private individual/organization, an unusual situation) I was trying to access mental health care. We made about $1000 too much a year for Medicaid, and were really poor and struggling to afford food. I tried to access mental health care through the county Behavioral Health system, which I had used 10 years ago, on a sliding fee scale. This time, though, I was told by the psychologist who interviewed me over the phone, that they could not accept me for treatment unless my funding came from certain sources. I don't even know what that MEANS, although I suspect it means Medicaid, Medicare, that I'd be on Social Security Disability, or have health insurance. I asked, where are people like me supposed to go, when the state fails to provide access to services for those who have nowhere to go? I was suicidal, and turned away from any care (well, I suppose I could have attempted, and gone to the hospital, but that's not sustained care). I also mentioned that in a recent NAMI report that Utah scored D for mental health care, quality of, and access to.

The host, Doug Wright, seemed to get a little impatient at this point and asked, "What can the Governor do for you on this, what can he answer?" I said, "Well, it seems like there's been a backsliding of available services, a lessening of access to care for those in need, who have nowhere to go." I tried to make sure it sounded like I was asking for his opinion/thoughts on this issue and situation, and NOT for personal help with my problems accessing this stuff. I think, especially with this last comment, that I think I finally came across with the bigger picture, maybe . . . I was SO nervous, and scared, and probably talking fast and in a monotone . . .

His response was kind. He said, "First, I am glad you are still with us, Sara. I am glad that you are doing better. We have someone who can address those things and answer you, and I'd really like you to give her a call. He then gave me the name and phone number of a lady who, I think, might be the head of the Dept. of Human Services for the State of Utah . . . . Still, I feel kinda brushed off, a bit, I don't think and feel that they really or even more than just a tiny bit, GOT what I was trying to say . . . the problems that exist that have gotten WORSE in this state over the last decade, that I would guess is/are sending people like me away from any access to mental health care, and into the world with nowhere to turn. If it happened to me, it's happening to others . . . . Utah scored a D on the Nami report, and all they could do was give me a name and phone number?

Still, I really WILL try to withhold as much judgement as I can until I've spoken with this woman. It sounded like Governor Huntsman wants to follow up and find out from her a bit about it, MAYBE. I think it was expressed in the way and wording of what he was telling me at the end, but I was so nervous and concentrating on writing the name and number down, I can't remember. I am sure, though, that he IS concerned about the possibility that this situation has gotten WORSE in the state, and that people are in desperate straits and being rejected from care.

He was very kind, concerned, and positive with me.

Did I say my hands were still shaking? I was SO nervous and scared!!! I also wanted to bring up Annegb's horrid experience from a month or two ago, but they were getting impatient with my story, which I thought I related fairly well and fairly efficiently, given how nervous I was.

Geez, I'm still shaking. Still, I'm VERY VERY proud of myself, for stepping up and trying something to advocate for these issues.

My fingers are shaking! Okay, that's the third time I've said that. Any of you in Salt Lake who were listening, that was ME. I probably sounded like a goober.

I think I've used up all my courage for the month. Lol! For the YEAR. Annegb, it was thinking of you that helped give me the courage to do this. So THANK you. We need to talk on the phone soon.

I'd better go before I faint.

Sara

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Sara!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sara,

I also want to applaud you. Doing anything live like that is a scary thing, let alone talking about the subject matter that you did. And, I too, have gotten the “brushed off” feeling and the inability of someone who has not dealt with mental issues to truly comprehend the debilitating realities of the illness…which makes your talking about it even more important. You should feel good about what you did and again…congratulations.

-James

annegb said...

James! How the hell are you? Did you hear about my psyche unit experience?

Sara, awesome work. Glad to have inspired someone else in the world to be a big mouth LOL.

Having talked to you, I know you're articulate and intelligent. That butterfly affect/effect is such a true principle. We affect each other, even Governors! Did you know when he was in high school, there was a plot to abduct him? Maybe they even actually did it, I can't recall the exact details. For money, these kids he knew were going to kidnap him.

I think you should re-iterate your points in writing. Point by point. Send him a copy. Send God a copy :).

Very well done, hon.