Friday, June 02, 2006

Relationship as Healing

Actor Crush of the Day: Ewan McGregor! Boy, I'm on a British kick, aren't I!

In the fourth paragraph down, at this link, was something that really resonated with me, and even brought up a sense of warmth and comfort, in the safety and knowledgeable protection that my ologist provides for me in therapy, and as the guardian of my real self (that last phrase is from a book he recommended I read, last December).

Speaking in very general terms, the intention of such therapy is to honor what the other person experiences with a readiness to receive her whole being, to relate to all that is in her, and thus to share in her psychic life and be in it with her during this critical period of growth. This entails attitudes of regard, respect, interest, concern, and partnership in the developmental process, with a full range of emotional experiences. Thus, as Jung has put it, psychotherapy consists of two whole psychic systems interacting in depth, in which action each is deeply affected by the other. - John Weir Perry ~ Trials of the Visionary Mind

The text there regards therapy and relating to the psychotic patient, but there were aspects of what I found written there that I felt really described some of what I feel in this odd animal, this approximate relationship, that is the therapeutic relationship.

I've only read the first page, but I found it, although probably written for mental health professionals, to be written in a way that was very expressive and understandable, which is a treat, given all the jargon involved in this field.

Possibly I identified so closely with this paragraph because it refers to "her", and it seems like such a kindly written paragraph, with concern for the needs of the patient, the therapeutic partner. Not that the professional is undergoing therapy during the patient's therapy, but they/we are partners in the process . . . at least, I think so?

This whole area can feel rather complicated. I find it to be a really awesome thing, at times, well, even when I'm angry and scared, because so far that hasn't driven him off . . . and that amazes me; not surprising for one who feels she hasn't found herself to be acceptable/accepted by others for who she is, flaws and all, without a diagnosis to "explain" her/me. (Please don't think I mean to hurt any family by saying that, but I feel I must bring up, in passing, mention of things from my experience that are applicable to the subject(s) I am discussing.)

My husband being an exception to that. Mitigating factors also being that it must be difficult for people to deal with/interact with issues of mental illness, and someone who is, while not knowing how to or what to make of me, it, things, and whatnot.

I am loved, though, even if I have trouble feeling reception of that. Like I'm a radio or TV set with antennae far out of whack, or something. And, at times, I feel I am . . . . interacted with as though I am that annoying, middle of the night, colored-bar off-air graphic with the decidedly unpleasant tone forcing itself upon you. That, though, is my problem; I need to work on my perceptions and stuff. If others need to work on theirs (from my point of view) that's their problem, and not mine, although since I'm receiving the result of their perceptions in however we interact, I suppose that's kinda . . . messy.

Well, THAT drifted off the subject, but then I've been mixed/euphoric/giddy tonight. The refrain, "Everything is Beauuuuu-tifullll . . . in it's own way-ay-ay . .", is going through my head right now.

I think I'd better close before I ramble on to twenty billion other subjects.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That paragraph reminded me so much of the poem that you wrote that was posted at BCC blog. I read a book about people who had been abused and the therapist talked of how they were holding the person in their hand and able to see them heal and grow. They said that those that were abused in the area that she did therapy were the healthiest ones in the family because they were the ones who sought treatment. Others in the family often try to keep the secret or dysfunctional cycles going and continue to be sick.

Anonymous said...

Sara, you have really done a lot to bring your blog into focus of issues with the mental health community as of late!

annegb said...

I am devoted to Denny Doucette, an imaginary person.

Good post, thoughtful. By the way, the hospital has contacted me and I am complaining loud and proud all over the place. :)