Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Blue Wookiees and Lex Luthor Poll

Well, last night was really odd, as I will presume you have already gathered from the post subject. I went from being rather awake, to a lead-weight lethargy exhaustion that feels rather inexplicable. I suppose it could be a subconscious reaction to something difficult the psychologist asked me to do this week, or it could be a medication reaction, or it could be another biological aspect of my illnesses, a different kind of shift that I haven't felt before. It is quite unnerving to experience mental, physical, and emotional shifts that are completely out of your control. An analogy comes to mind of riding in a remote control vehicle as a passenger, and you have no idea who is holding the controls and where you will go next, and why, and how long.

It felt as though I had taken a larger than usual dose of one of the two mild tranquilizers I have on hand for anxiety, and to keep the night terrors away, but I had not. I had not taken any medication since my last dose of Effexor almost 24 hours previously. That makes me wonder if perhaps it was the Effexor wearing off, but in the past that just causes a wierd headache, not lethargy or tiredness. Still, I've only been on this new double dose of Effexor for about 6 weeks, so I can't rule anything out. I will of course report this to both the ologist and iatrist and see what they say.

The only thing I did yesterday that was out of my usual routine, was take a brief walk with Emily. I know I'm out of shape, but a walk like that would not leave me feeling so "wasted". At worst I'd be a little tired, with some burning in my thighs from the walk. This felt more like a drug-induced sleepiness, and it scares me that my body is doing something that strong, on its own, for an unknown reason. Fear of the unknown is one of my major anxieties, and so I'm rather perturbed.

You are, by now, perhaps wondering where the Blue Wookiees come into the picture. Well, another side effect of I believe the Effexor is frequent and vivid/real-feeling nightmares and dreams. I won't go into the nightmare that started off the evening, which was extremely disturbing, except to say that I had one. It then transitioned into something completely unrelated, into a sort of Star Wars adventure.

I was part of the Rebellion (yay!), and we were in a labyrinthine network of porous, rocky, sandstone cavernous tunnels, and we were fighting our way through stormtroopers, scout troopers, rock creatures that blended in with the terrain, and the occasional appearance of various identical but clumsy clones of Darth Vader.

I was accompanied by Han Solo, Leia, and Luke, the latter going off a ways to do his Jedi thing and carve a path for us through the hostiles with his lightsaber. Sometimes I was Leia, and sometimes I was a third sibling of Luke and Leia, in whom Han Solo was more interested romantically than Leia. I was pretty accurate with my blaster, picking off troopers here and there, and the occasional Darth Vader clone, from which I'd steal its lightsaber and with which I would proceed to demonstrate my own saber prowess.

At some point we got into a lot of trouble, and it became very scary, and I woke myself up from the nightmare, as it felt very real and dangerous. I drifted back off to sleep, and re-entered this dream, but this time I felt in control of the dream, and even changed the course of events from time to time within the dream. It became a fun and exciting adventure, and soon the Blue Wookiees of which I spoke entered the scene.

As we were fighting our way through a particularly bothersome stretch of cavern, we discovered some Wookiees that had been enslaved to mine resources from the rock. We freed them and they joined us, and we proceeded to kick Imperial butt and move ever closer to the planet's surface and the escape ships that awaited there.

All of a sudden, from behind the last curve we had fought our way through in the tunnels, we heard a ferocious roar. We turned around, and paused in stunned surprise as we saw a horde of massive, medium-bright-blue Wookiees racing towards us. At first we thought they were coming to assist, but they began to fire their weapons at us, and we returned fire. I have NO idea which portion of my subconscious invented Blue Wookiees, but I was simultaneously horrified at this strange sight, and laughing my head off at the very concept and image.

Still, we won the day and gained our escape from this odd battle despite the Blue Wookiees, but they are a compelling and odd image that remains with me, and gives me a bit of a giggle. I am going to see if I can recolor a Wookiee image from SWG blue, and post it sometime.

On another note, I had an idea to post a poll regarding whom you think has made the best portrayal of Lex Luthor, or you think will make the best portrayal, in the case of Kevin Spacey in Superman Returns. I haven't learned how to add a formal poll yet, so I will just ask, and you can post your responses in the comments.

Whom do you think has made or will make the best portrayal of Lex Luthor, in TV or Movies?

A. The dude from the black-and-white TV Show (I'm assuming they had a Lex Luthor on there.)
B. Gene Hackman, in the first four Superman movies starring Christopher Reeve.
C. The dude who played Lex Luthor on Lois and Clark, the TV show in the early 90's I believe.
D. The wonderfully talented actor playing Lex Luthor on Smallville.
E. Kevin Spacey, rumored to be cast as Lex Luthor in the upcoming movie Superman Returns.

My answer is the Lex on Smallville, although it's a bit of an apples to oranges question. Especially since he has had so much more opportunity and length of time in which to show a depth of character than most of the other Lex's had. I still like Gene Hackman's Lex, but he is more of a well not cartoonish version, but is more single-minded with many less facets to his character than my favorite. I also thought the Lois & Clark version was good, and rather appealing in a sort of roguish, kind of dangerously attractive kind of way, but his performance I thought was more egomaniacal than the others, which isn't bad, it's just a different emphasis than some of the others. They all have that egomania to a certain degree, because who is Lex Luthor without that? But the Lois & Clark version seemed to exemplify that quality.

Looking forward to your responses and comments on today's post! I may be odd, but I never get even. Wait . . . .

5 comments:

Holly said...

I think Michael Rosenbaum from Smallville. BTW, he's the one who plays Lex Luthor. I really enjoy watching Smallville and he plays his part quite well.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with this one. Hackman was good but a bit shallow.
The lex from lois and clark was good, but still something was missing there.
The lex from smallville is the best so far.
I can't say much for kevin spacy... I realy haven't seen much of his work.

Anonymous said...

As far as the blue wookies.. I'd have to say your dream was far more fun than mine. (I won't go into mine here though. needless to say, it was a bit disturbing.)

failproof said...

The other cool thing about Michael Rosenbaum (especially for a superhero nut) is that he does the voice of The Flash on Cartoon Network's The Justice League and has done several voices for episodes of Batman Beyond. I like Michael, but I'm not sure I can give a specific reason.

Beck said...

I like Michael, too-- but I think he'd be too young for the movie. So my vote is actually for Kevin Spacey! I think he is a really good actor, and will bring a real "Evil-ness" to Lex.