Thursday, August 18, 2005

Television Gore & Do You Like Your Voice Poll

Actor Crush of the Day: Bruce Willis
Strawberry Recipe Subcategory: Uses Gelatin/Jello

Interesting article regarding Hollywood and TV, Movies, and DVDs and which one, surprisingly, is the best source of income for Hollywood, and why.

http://www.slate.com/id/2124078/?GT1=6772

One would hope this trend would result in more quality product, with a wider variety of subjects, and less gore-for-gore's sake, or less let's-see-the-grossest-ways-we-can-mutilate-a-human-body attitudes I've seen in recent years.

I understand, to a point, some of it, on shows such as ER, but in recent years even they seem to be throwing stuff in just to show that they can; it doesn't have a point or purpose beyond shock value, anymore, it seems.

You know, writers and producers, that you can tell a story, even one with murder mysteries or forensics, that does not have to show us every bloody, pulsating, realistic-as-possible-let's-show-them-a-dead-body-with-the-brain-completely-exposed-for-the-helluvit, permutation of violence and gore.

Really, there are some GOOD shows that restrain themselves. They show just up until a certain edge of content, and either imply or describe the rest. Sometimes NOT seeing it all, or NOT hearing all of a disturbing encounter, can be a much more effective cinematic and dramatic point or effect, than showing some of the disgusting crap I've seen on shows that I've now put on probation.

If they go over the line again like I feel they have, I'll quit watching them. Shows that usually don't show too much, but every now again feel like doing so just to shock us? Well, I for one feel that seeing something that makes me want to throw up is NOT entertainment.

On a completely different unrelated issue, I have found that lately, in conversations I've had with family, friends, and mental health professionals, I have discovered that I am not nearly the only one who dislikes my own voice. It seems as though alot of people do, and this surprises me, so I thought I'd do an informal poll regarding this issue.

Do you:
A. Hate the sound of your own voice (Don't necessarily obsess about it, but really don't like it.)
B. Rather dislike your voice, but only think about it when listening to it taped, et al.
C. Mild discomfort with the sound of your voice but you don't really care that much.
D. Don't particularly like or dislike it.
E. Somewhat like the sound of your voice.
F. You like your voice, and perhaps have been complimented on it.
G. Really like the sound of your voice. (Not in a vain way, but you happen to have a pretty voice, especially nice for narrating, performing in plays, and/or singing.)

For me, it's A. Ugh! And listening to the tapes of my sessions with the psychologist, is uncomfortable for me because of this issue, as well as the nature and depth of the things I am discussing.

5 comments:

Sarebear said...

Strawberry Pretzel Bars Makes 20 bars

2 1/2 cups finely crushed pretzel crumbs
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
3 cups white grape juice
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup heavy cream
8 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces and softened at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes
3 cups strawberries, hulled, thinly sliced, and chilled

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 350 degrees. Coat bottom of 13 by 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Toss pretzel crumbs, butter, and brown sugar together in medium bowl until evenly combined. Press firmly into even layer on bottomo f baking dish. Bake until fragrant and slightly deepened in color, about 10 minutes. Cool completely.
3. Meanwhile, sprinkle gelatin over 1 cup grape juice in small bowl. Let stand 5 minutes to soften.
4. Bring another 1 cup grape juice and 1 cup granulated sugar to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove pan from heat, add gelatin mixture, and whisk to dissolve any lumps, about 1 minute. Stir in remaining 1 cup grape juice. Transfer mixture to medium bowl and refrigerate until mixture just begins to set, about 1 hour.
5. Meanwhile, beat heavy cream and remaining 3 tablespoons granulated sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer at medium-high speed until cream just holds soft peaks, about 2 minutes. With mixer running, gradually add cream cheese, then whip until mixture is well blended, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary, about 3 minutes. Spread mixture evenly over cooled pretzel crust and top with strawberries. Let chill in refrigerator until gelatin is ready to use. Carefully spoon gelatin over strawberries, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until completely set, at least 4 hours or overnight. Cut into 20 squares and serve. (Bars can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.)

Note: Look for the bowl of gelatin to ripple slightly when jiggled. If it wobbles in one mass, it is too solidified and will clump when layered on top of the fruit and cheese.

bettyrae said...

B. rather dislike my voice.
sounds too much like a little girl and not a little grandmother....

Beck said...

I'm gonna go with a combo of D & F. I'm indifferent to my voice usually. Sometimes I like it, sometimes it sounds too little or too nasal-y. But I used to get compliments on it ALL THE TIME when I was a receptionist. Once after hearing me read a story at a work event, one of our board members asked me if I ever considered being a lawyer because of my voice. (He was a lawyer...)

failproof said...

I remember when I was younger, and hearing it recorded, thinking that it didn't sound like me but it was familiar, like maybe a cousin or something. But I never disliked it. Mostly I just think I am satisfied with who/what I am and don't really dislike anything about myself. Just good self esteem I guess. I should probably count myself lucky in that regard. I had this little poster thing once that said "I know I am special, 'cause God don't make no junk!" I once got told (on my mission) that I sould go into radio because of my voice, so I guess that is a compliment, but maybe i was just filled with the spirit, so I was speaking "with power and authority". So that all said, I think I'd have to go with D and F like Beck. Apparently I like to copy her. :)

Sarebear said...

This recipe is YUMMY! Made it Thursday night. Oooo boy is it good. The gelatin had to chill for alot longer than it said and even then was too liquidy but it turned out in the end.