Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Whatever Happened To Galoshes?

Actor Crush of the Day: Michael Rosenbaum

With the start of school, my mind has drifted back to some of my earliest school memories.

I believe I was in Kindergarten, and I remember vividly a fall field trip to an apple orchard and pumpkin patch. It had rained the day before or so, or that morning, and so we all pulled our galoshes on over our shoes.

My pair was robin's egg blue, with Winnie the Pooh on the sides. I don't know why I remember these galoshes so vividly, but I remember absolutely loving them, and clomping around in them with childish glee. My imagination was sparked and captivated by them somehow, and I believe at times that I pretended they were moon boots, and that I was traipsing across the lunar landscape in them, Winnie the Pooh and all.

I wistfully remember that field trip, and meandering throughout the fruitfully scented breeze in the orchard, the fall freshness in the air, with patches of sunlight dappling the ground beneath the trees. I hopped myself and my proudly worn galoshes into a puddle or two, but was quickly discouraged from further mischief by the Kindergarten Teacher, Mrs. Matthews.

I do not remember if the pumpkin patch was next to the orchard or if we took a short bus hop to get there, but I remember seeing a whole "mess of pumpkins" tumbled about the area, and marveling at the sight of so many in one place. I remember thinking, and almost smelling the delightful scent as I pondered, that my dad could turn all those pumpkins into a year's worth of pies! I then considered all the yummy possibilities inherent in the quantity of pumpkin seeds that the field contained, as we had enjoyed a delectable preparation of them earlier in the week in class.

I do not remember much more about that day, but the sights, smells, sounds, and tastes, particularly of the fresh, crisp apples we were presented, remain with me to this day. And, of course, the rubberly smell and sensation of wonder I associated with my fondly remembered Winnie the Pooh galoshes.

4 comments:

annegb said...

Sara, I'm familiar with the website you referenced on Millennial Star. There is a book about suicide which I was instrumental in that Dr. Rick contributed to, and was compiled with Jaynann Payne. I give away many of those books.

Interesting coincidence.

Sarebear said...

Wow. That really is. It was such a JOY to me to find his talks and website as a resource, because trying to fit my struggles in with scripture and stuff was just very . . . I didn't even know.

I hope that you are ok, because if you contributed alot to that book then perhaps you have gone through alot of difficulties yourself.

What's the title of that book? I spose I can look it up on his site.

Thank you so much for your kind words and comment.

John said...

Hey... thanks for comment at Freshblog. Checked out your request for width limits on drop-down text boxes, but it looks as though the width is set by the longest line, so I guess it's not a very useful tool for post titles, since they can get long....

annegb said...

Sarebear, my e-mail is gardnera@netutah.com, drop me a line.