Wednesday, August 31, 2005

My Hurricane Katrina Feelings & Reactions

Actor Crush of the Day: Matthew Fox

I feel a sense of helplessness, against the scale of the disaster, the scope of what's needed, the desperateness of the situation, and the horrifying experiences that people are having to endure, who are in the midst of the aftermath.

I know it's natural to feel helpless when seeing such images of widespread destruction and suffering; the helplessness at the overwhelming power of nature. And so, knowing this, I am not drowning in it or sinking in it.

So many things have struck me, and entered into my heart in this national experience of disaster that I feel personally, as much as can be considering I was not touched physically by the Hurricane, but touched and deeply affected inside by what I feel as a citizen of this nation is an intense, sad, and desperate experience for all of us to see.

The volunteers, who are doing everything they can, and feel so helpless that they can't do more.

The 4 Navy ships on their way with food, fresh water, supplies, medicines, etc., that can't get there fast enough. The fierce and oh-so-urgent need for these things that the people NEED.

All the people who are still trapped in their attics, on their roofs, or other places.

The hospitals, where patients are or have been airlifted out, but in which alot of employees and their families are left behind in, as at least they aren't as urgently in need as those trapped in attics, or the SuperDome. I never thought I would see a day where people trapped in a hospital, surrounded by water, healthy though they all are, would be "a lesser priority". That in itself helps instill a sense of the scope of this destruction.

The SuperDome, where the air has become foul, sanitation facilities are overwhelmed, there is no food or water, the buses cannot get to because of the water surrounding it, the dome itself is open to the elements in places, and rival gang members inside are starting to cause trouble. Imagine the fear and desperateness and intense NEED that is present in such circumstances, and think even more upon any little ones, infirm, and/or elderly who may be trapped in such circumstances, or worse. The refugees need to be rescued from their refuge, and are to be bused to the Houston AstroDome, 350 miles away. It is the only thing big enough and close at hand in the area, as everything is so full of refugees already.

That word, itself, refugees, just seems so distant from anything I ever thought we, as Americans, would have to experience. I am not having to experience it myself, but I feel so much a sympathy and broken heart for those who are suffering in such a way. I guess perhaps it is arrogant to think that the word refugees is such a foreign concept, an alien one for Americans, but it is something that I am meditating on as to what this means for me, and others.

Again, I say, do not drown in the sense of despair, loss, helplessness, and even anger at some who knowingly stayed and "expected" to be rescued at the last minute. Rather, I am bouyed by the selflessness, spirit, courage, and tirelessness exhibited by the volunteers, and everyone involved in doing what they can as fast as they can to help everyone, not just in New Orleans, but in Biloxi, Gulf Port, and elsewhere.

It is discouraging to see nature's wrath vented so violently upon the places and people that our hearts are just aching for at this time. I pray that the strength of the volunteers will be reinforced and that the logistics involved in getting people out, and supplies in, will have their way smoothed and any barriers to such hopefully overcome as fast as possible, or removed.

I pray for those who have lost their lives, lost loved ones and friends, or are awaiting news from such that they are ok. I pray for those who must wait for that unfathomable news that their loved one did not make it.

I pray for all those displaced from their homes and businesses, and for those who have lost part, or all in most cases, of everything they had, who are now being rescued, or have been rescued, or are seeking or have found places of refuge.

I pray for those who have opened their hotels, facilities, and homes to those who have fled from the destruction, and I gain strength from the display of unity and human brotherhood that is being exemplified by those who are assisting in such a manner, and in other ways.

I pray for those who are looting, and for those who are looting because they feel they have, or may even have, no other way to protect themselves. For example, there was a lady caught by a news crew looting, from a shoe store I believe, and someone behind the view of the camera said, "You shouldn't be doing that." She responded, "I know, but if I don't, our feet will be cut by things beneath the water." Her, her family and the people with them had no shoes. I do not judge whether or not these people are right or wrong. It is not my place, and I can't even imagine being placed in a situation where that kind of choice would become necessary. And when it comes down to it, looting some shoes is perhaps the least of concerns, and the least of some of the horrible decisions and situations that are going on as a result of this disaster.

These things I watch, and learn from, and feel, and experience, at least in the small manner that I can, from the images that I see on the news. I know I cannot understand what it is like, but I rest myself in the hope that there is, that there can be; that hopefully as many lives can be saved, and people may find shelter, and that the Lord may be watching over and assisting in this huge effort of rescue, relief, and refuge.

No comments: