Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Well, I am a superhero nut . . . .

Especially for the classic heroes, and Superman is the classic-est of em all. Here is the official summary of Superman Returns:

Following a mysterious absence of several years, Superman comes back to Earth -- but things have changed. While an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all, The Man of Steel faces the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane, has moved on with her life. Or has she? Superman's bittersweet return challenges him to bridge the distance between them while finding a place in a society that has learned to survive without him. In an attempt to protect the world he loves from cataclysmic destruction, Superman embarks on an epic journey of redemption that takes him from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of outer space.

Here is a review posted under it by someone who seems to know more, that gives some interesting and I think promising info:

To be directed by Bryan Singer (X-men) this will take place about 6 years after Superman 2 (with Christopher Reeve). Superman has disappeared after his fight with General Zod (who will be part of a back story) and returns to confront Lex Luthor (Rumored to be played by Kevin Spacey). Metropolis has been let down by his disappearance and has learned to get along with out him. Upon his return they are less supportive and somewhat suspicious of his motives. Fearful that he will just leave again, many hesitate to become dependent on the Man of Steel. Lois Lane is also skeptical as he tries to rekindle his relationship with her.

This bodes well, for several reasons, I think. It provides alot of character development opportunities for the Clark/Superman character, and lots of emotional fodder. The Spiderman movies have always been so proud that Spidey is a real TYPE of guy, ie, he has everyday problems and emotional issues such as communicating w/the girl, let alone will he or won't he GET the girl, and paying rent, and all that stuff. I think the possibilities present in the plotline listed for Superman Returns will provide for more depth of feeling and character to Superman than perhaps we've seen before.

Still, no one can top Christopher Reeve, for me, and of course I'm in LOVE with Tom Welling on Smallville, and Dean Cain was quite the cutie in his turn as Superman. BUT I am glad to see the return of Superman to the big screen, even if it took alot of years, rewrites, stops, and starts. AND so relieved that Nicholas Cage eventually backed out of the role. THAT would have been an absolute disaster, and while I love disaster movies, don't go messing with my superheroes! Nuff said.

On another, very sad note, Christopher Reeve's wife Dana has lung cancer. They are optimistic but then they also thought Chris would walk again . . . I hope she beats it, their son is only 13.

I had my weekly appointment with Dr. Mower today, my psychologist. He's great. Very mild-mannered, an easy manner about him, very laid back and soft-spoken. Very kind and non-judgemental and concerned. And knowledgeable of course. Anyhow, becoming kind of frustrated with the fact that no one will tell me what having bipolar MEANS for me, or anything about it really, I asked him about that and he recommended a book titled "An Unquiet Mind". So I'll be checking that out and possibly posting snippets that I find to be really illuminating about what it's like to be bipolar.

He did say though that to keep in mind that psychology and psychiatry are in a way rather an imprecise field. He said that there's kind of a grab bag of diagnoses under the bipolar umbrella, such as bipolar w/melancholy, bipolar w/psychosis, rapid cycling, mixed states (which I really HATE when I have those), and some others that I forget. Me, I'm not the dangerous or psychotic type, although they (my ologist and iatrist, as I call em for short), haven't told me yet what type I am. He also meant and stated that the field is always evolving, and that in 20 years, maybe even less, bipolar will probably be called something else, as they find out more and more. It used to be called manic depressive, but they keep learning more about it and stuff.

He also told me that, as I'm reading it, and I am posting this for you readers to keep in mind as well, that not everything about bipolar applies to every bipolar person. So as I'm reading, some stuff will resonate with me and be like, hey yeah, so THAT's what it means when I'm feeling that way, and some stuff will be like, heck no I've never been that, or that's not anything related to me. And to remember not to take the things it says as "YOU WILL BE THIS WAY". It's just information and I'm to take from the book what feels like my experience and not worry about the rest.

Thank you if you've read this far, and please post your comments! I am kind of fragile emotionally and don't take criticism well (in fact, that's one of the bipolar things that is so me; the bipolar really makes it difficult for me to handle criticism at all), but just be yourselves and post what you feel.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good news on superman. can't wait to finaly see it on the big screen. I hope it doesn't end up a cheese fest like #s 3 and 4.

Beck said...

Good gracious, I have NO IDEA why this last post would push all your profile info and links down. I don't think its supposed to do that. Hmmm. David, any thoughts?

As for your other stuff, it's kind of hard to explain. I'm much better at SHOWING; especially since I only half know what I'm doing. Everything I've done has taken some experimenting, and is kind of hit and miss. I'll see what I can do for you.

failproof said...

Some quick comments (you may have noticed that I have not yet had time to update my own blog... work and life as usual are busy)

Totally excited about Superman! But I have issues with the "woman he loves, Lois Lane" bit... I like him with Lana Lang better. Though not being a comic book die hard, I don't know what way the comics take it. Superman 3 ended with some hint that he was more into Lana and Smallville deffinitely takes it that direction too (though he should totally hook up with Chloe instead) Anyway, I'll have to tell Jeremy about it, because I'm sure he'll be excited too.

As for your blog... I'll have to do some looking at my template and see if I can get a better idea about it. Browsers can be funny about how they render things sometimes. At work I sometimes have to change the code and do it a different way when I can't get it to display how I want. I don't get the impression that we have as many options with our blogspots. Just can't promise anything or how soon :)

Anonymous said...

I discovered that with firefox it doesn't get all pushed down, i need to test netscape. IE is a problem though, and I note that the html has some codes in it to correct for some ie problems but I haven't messed with those.

sarebear