Friday, September 16, 2005

Medication Woes?

Actor Crush of the Day: Alec Baldwin (The Shadow)
Emily Quote or Question of the Day: I love cute baby Robin, she's MY cousin! (Again, by special request of Emily, she wished this to be her quote of the day!)

Alrighty, then. I've been on Neurontin since Monday night. The first night I slept ok, but the iatrist did warn me of some initial sleepiness when getting used to the drug.

The second night, I slept maybe an hour less, but still a decent hour of sleep. After that, there was definitely no sleepiness associated with this medication.

Wednesday night, I believe I might have gotten 4 hours of sleep. It felt as though my brain was stuck in gear, although it wasn't racing. It felt like my brain, my thoughts, could not shift downwards and allow relaxation into sleep. It was very odd, as I've very definitely experienced racing thoughts in the past that wouldn't let my brain ramp down into sleep, but this week was different than that.

I forgot to mention, that Thursday night, I only received TWO hours of very light sleep.

It has also felt like perhaps I could feel just a little bit of shifting in my brain, of maybe thought patterns or feelings or some combination of the two; not really the drug "telling" me what to think, but sort of a "re-setting" of the functioning of the interactions in my brain. It is difficult to describe, especially since it takes 3 weeks to really kick in. But this is the barest of tiny shifts that I may perhaps be starting to detect.

I am going to call the iatrist later, and see what he says re: the sleep issue, because that's a big issue. I am wondering if it may just be from stopping the Klonopin, but the last time I stopped it, my sleep went down to 4-5 hours a night, not TWO.

TTYL.

4 comments:

Beck said...

Yay for Emily! I'm sure if Baby Robin could talk, she'd reciprocate the sentiment.

Sorry your sleep has been screwed up. Baby Robin allows me about 6 hours a night...just 4 would kill me! How are you holding up during the day?

I will e-mail you soon eith my wish list!

Anonymous said...

Not fun on the sleeping thing. It used to take me hours to settle my brain down each night and fall asleep. I haven't had that issue for awhile now, thank goodness. Feeling a slight shift in your thought patterns sounds like a hopeful thing. Good luck with all of this.

I didn't do well getting off of Klonopin (I was only on that once). I am now environmentally ill and cannot tolerate those drugs at all.

Maren

Sarebear said...

Thanks guys. Actually it's only 2 hours, because I forgot to mention Thursday night. I am so tired it's not funny, but at the same time it feels as though my brain is kind of locked into awake mode, so it's kind of like my body is tired but my brain isn't? It feels very wierd.

Holly said...

Oh, Sara. I can relate to you so much with this sleep disorder. If I didn't have one, I wouldn't have so many migraines. I also suffer from anxieties and they always appear at night, so my Neurologist put me on Gabitril to help with the anxieties at night and also to help me sleep. I can not tell you how much it has helped me with both of them. Of course, I still worry, but before it becomes too much of a thought, I fall asleep. I still suffer with the sleep problems, but this medication gives me at least 6 hours of solid sleep before I wake up with a coughing attack. One of my other medications causes the coughing, which I need to talk to the doctor about. You may think 6 hours is good, but for a migraine sufferer, it isn't. They need 9-10 hours of solid sleep to feel better and not get the migraines. We are working on it though. I completely understand the above comment. There are so many days that my body is totally exhausted, but my brain is still on fire mode. It just wants to keep thinking or doing things. These days drive me crazy!!!!! Well, I hope you get the rest you need and that the medications start to do the job for you. BTW, I enjoyed our 1 1/2 hour phone conversation on Wednesday.It was great talking to you and getting everything cleared up between us. I hope you have agreat day!