Sunday, September 04, 2005

A stone cutter hammering away at his rock . . .

Actor Crush of the Day: Cary Grant (An Affair to Remember - The moment when he realizes . . . . and if you have to ask me what, go rent the movie!)

The following quote, which I read in a recent post on Maren's site, really struck a chord inside me. I'm going to sleep on it, and ponder it, and digest it for the next few days to week, as I do sometimes with things like this. At the end of this "ruminating" process, I usually discover something really meaningful about myself, life, and/or other things. I will let you know what I figure out.

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times
without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it
will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that
had gone before
. ~Jacob A. Riis


What is currently striking me is two different thoughts, from two different points of view. The first, involves me being the rock, and the Lord being the stone cutter. Throughout the trials and events of life, I am slowly being worked into what he needs; into what he wants me to become.

The second, involves me and my psychologist, working as a team through therapy to affect change in my soul, heart, mind, spirit, and life. And slowly, even if it seems Oh-So-Slowly, we'll get there.

I'm a work in progress, in both of these analogies.

I am not a patient person, but this sort of thinking, feeling, and realization, helps me to learn to become a bit more so. Thanks for the quote post, Maren!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To me this quote means that when healing does come, it wont have been the result of the last thing I try, but a culmination of everything that has gone on before it.

Sarebear said...

YES! I just began to see a glimpse of this EXACT concept you are saying, yesterday. It is difficult to put something so powerful into words, but this is exactly what I am learning!