Friday, January 13, 2006

How much info for a child? &, I miss my friend.

Emily Question or Quote of the Day: I like to learn how damsel flies are formed. They are like dragonflies!

If my saying what I really thought about something, was enough for her to "drop" me, then I guess our friendship wasn't a friendship, like I thought. She's been that blunt with me . . .

On another note, I don't know what a damsel fly is, and I DON'T want to know. In the last two months, Emily has discovered these DK brand encyclopedic-like books, the Eyewitness series, at the library and school library, on a variety of subjects. Space Exploration, Volcanos & Earthquakes, Africa, Hurricane & Tornado, and her latest discovery, Insect.

Now, I'm all for reading with one's child, but this is one book I will not be cracking. Nooooosireee! She can learn all about damsel flies and other creepy critters on her own. Lol! Ewwww. I'd have nightmares!

Part of me wonders WHICH subject she'll come home with next . . . I guess we'll see tomorrow at the library!

The inquisitive mind of a child!

Although I do know that unusually strong interest in very specific subjects is a trait of autism, I do not and will not apologize for her interest, feel ashamed of it, or discourage her in any way.

I enjoy her enjoyment and childish glee and wonder at the variety, depth, and breadth of the subjects she encounters.

I have had, though, occasion to wonder about the depth of detail given some of the more gruesome aspects of these subjects; for example, some images from Pompeii in the Volcanos book. There were pictures of the people, or the castings thereof, who had died in various positions in the streets and buildings of Pompeii. While there were no features on these roughly humanoid-shaped mostly fetally-curled bodies, I still wondered whether I should allow her to see these. There was also the image of a human skull, from one of a variety of ancient volcanic episodes.

I pondered this, and then realized, given her fascination with the subject of volcanos, she probably OUGHT to know that they hurt people. As long as it does not show mutilated corpses or people, that is. The "forms" of people from Pompeii were so rough, and featureless, they were more like a primitive carving of the shape of a human body, than anything.

We have had a little bit of discussion on the subject, and these books should and will provoke some more discussion, about events, places, peoples, cultures, differences, and things that, while I am not sure she can understand what it really MEANS, in terms of the impact on people, their feelings, their lives, it is still a place to start in educating her about the way things work in the world.

She is, after all, going to turn 8 this year. I hope she does not develop any nightmares from these books, but at the same time I really do not want to hold her back, either. Soon enough, I fear, there will come a time when she may not be so eager. Let's hold on to it while we can.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your daughter resembles my best-friends daughter somewhat. She will turn 12 in July. She has been interested in nonfiction subjects such has nature and science books from a young age. I think it is great when children have such an interest. And regardless of where the talent stems from, I think it is great to nurture it. I saw a show about a man with autism who had an uncanny memory when it came to maps. He had a job working for a company that people called for directions. Sometimes he would leave the map his company provided and rely on his mental map. I may have mentioned that I lack a sense of direction and get lost very easy so I really admire this. This young man earned a good wage doing this as well.

Anonymous said...

My mom and I were just having a conversation about a friend that she works with and I know as I used to work at the same company. She has a grandchild and my mom said that she said that the child does not have autism, but my mom cannot rememeber the word. He is seven and loves to follow the weather. He calls his grandma every day to tell her what the weather will be in her town that is near Omaha and also in Omaha where he lives. Someone gave him a book on weather for Christmas and it was a real hit!

Anonymous said...

Another cute story about the same child. When he lost his first tooth not that that far back, he called his grandma and said, "Grandma, I'm so excited, I'm so exited, I lost my tooth!"